Monday, October 20, 2008

You Need to Put Some Meat on Your Bones

Stupid RL rant alert!

One comment I get tried of hearing is "You need to put some meat on your bones".
I hear it at least 10-15 times a year. I heard it again today!

It's patently not true! I'm reasonably slender - not skinny, not anorexic, not even thin. I am 5' 8-1/2" with a 38" bust, and just a tad under optimal BMI (body mass index)for my height. Only a tad mind you. Any time I gain two pounds, I feel sluggish and a bit less flexible.

What's really silly is when my boss says that. She is a couple of inches shorter than I am and really is underweight! Last time I suggested she check her BMI. It had never occurred to her!

I started out normal for a kid and gained weight rapidly when I stopped running. That was the summer I turned fourteen and became a woman. I started the summer with a training bra and suddenly had a C-cup and it hurt to run everywhere. I continued gaining until I was twenty. That fall I transferred to a different college and the brochure talked about the freshmen five (5 lbs gained by Christmas). I decided that was not going to happen to me. I was in a size 18 and knew a 20 would be next if I didn't do something. So I disciplined myself and lost 2 sizes by Christmas! I was thrilled! New clothes!! I stabilized for a few years and then lost some more. I'm pretty happy with myself. I do think losing five pounds would be nice. Highly unlikely though, I indulge in the community sweets drawer at work too often!

So please, as a favor to me, if you know anyone who rocks on their feet in a good wind, don't tell them to put some meat on their bones. It might just mean they are taller than you are (more of a target for that breeze to play with).

kk - rant over.

1 comment:

Emyly Beaumont said...

Cas, I think you are perfect and I envy your discipline. You are well proportioned and very pretty and a well adjusted person. It is an honor to call you friend in RL as well as SL. So don't pay any attention to those who are envious of you!